Your support fuels our mission. It supports a better life today for Canadians living with Parkinson's; a world without Parkinson's tomorrow.
Walk with us. Support a better life.
Nationwide in Scope; Local in Delivery; Personal in impact
Parkinson Canada SuperWalk is YOUR opportunity to change the course of Parkinson’s in Canada. Through SuperWalk, you directly support a better life today for Canadians living with Parkinson’s; a world without Parkinson’s tomorrow.
Your support of Parkinson Canada SuperWalk directly impacts service for Canadians living with Parkinson's across Canada. It enables Parkinson Canada staff and volunteers enhance the lives of people affected by Parkinson’s and other Parkinson conditions every day. Your fundraising supports the following meaningful programs, and much more:
- Your participation in SuperWalk supports toll free information and referral line is set up to allow for anyone in our Parkinson community to ask questions at any stage of their diagnosis. We receive calls from every province in Canada, and it is regularly accessed in your community and surrounding areas.
- Your efforts provide for volunteer led support groups are our faces in the community, providing a meaningful local connection, support, and taking on other initiatives as you well know. These groups and other community initiatives are supported by our community development network and are supplemented by online and phone virtual groups that can be accessed nationwide. Community development coordinators work closely with our groups and other dedicated volunteers throughout the country to engage with local education fairs, hospitals and long term care facilities to raise awareness of Parkinson’s generally, and our options for local support and engagement specifically. Moreover, we work in communities to raise the level of understanding of Parkinson’s for the general public and healthcare professionals to make sure that people living with Parkinson’s are understood in their communities and provided better service in a healthcare setting.
- knowledge network includes a regular webinar and podcast series available live and on demand and accessible across the country. This covers a broad range of topics and leverages the expertise of our staff and experts in the field of Parkinson’s. Further, we have a growing pool of fact sheets, brochures and other educational documents designed to address a broad range of issues with Parkinson’s. These are accessible online, and are mailed out across the country as complete information kits or one-off mailings whenever requested.
- Your donations fuel research through The Parkinson Canada Research Program. Participation in SuperWalk funds some of the best and brightest Canadian researchers investigating new therapies, cause and ultimately a cure. Within this program, the Clinical Movement Disorder Fellowships awarded aim to increase access to qualified specialists in the diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson’s. You support best in class research: a Scientific Advisory Committee reviews all applications in a blind, peer-reviewed process and as such we do not target communities for fellowships but are working to grow the pool of qualified neurologists across the province and the country which should benefit everyone.
- You drive change. With the support of our ambassador network Parkinson Canada's Public Affairs team leads advocacy initiatives including reduced wait times, access to medications and much more on a provincial, federal and local basis. This includes working directly with provincial, federal and local government to share concerns felt in communities across the country around access to trained Parkinson specialists and to help set the healthcare policy across the country. These efforts take time, but are targeted at making sure people in your community and elsewhere have access to trained clinicians and other essential services and supports for managing Parkinson’s.