Here are some great tips to help you to fundraise for Parkinson SuperWalk.
- Register online and collect donations online. This is the easiest and most cost effective way to fundraise. In addition, when your donors enter their information the tax receipt is immediately processed and sent to their email address, saving time and money!
- Set a fundraising goal that works for you.
- Sponsor yourself first to get the ball rolling. When your friends and family see your donation and commitment, they will be more willing and may match or surpass your donation amount.
- Approach local businesses in your area to see if they will sponsor you. And don’t be shy about asking people you hire for services throughout the year, such as your dentist, dog walker or lawn care company. Check out more Fundraising ideas, below.
- Never underestimate the power of “word-of-mouth” (the opportunity for each person to share with all of their contacts the important fundraising being done). Once you get one person interested and excited about contributing to Parkinson SuperWalk, who knows who they might inspire to donate as well!
- There are many ways to ask for donations. You can send a letter, make a phone call, send an email, send a text message, post on Facebook, twitter and other social networking sites. When sending an email or posting online, make sure to include the website link to your personal profile page and use the handy templates in the Participant Centre.
- Don’t forget to follow up! If someone hasn’t sponsored you, send them a reminder email. People are busy and they may have missed your first request.
- Always remember to thank your sponsor!
- Regularly send e-mails to people who contributed to and supported your fundraising efforts to let them know how much money you raised. It keeps everyone engaged in your experience and may encourage them to do more! After the walk is over, let them know how much they helped raise all across Canada. They’ll be proud to make a difference.
- Ask those from whom you expect to receive birthday or holiday gifts to instead contribute money, or half of your gift money, to SuperWalk. It’s a win-win situation the gift giver doesn’t have to go shopping and you receive a contribution to your cause!
- Many companies have matching gifts program in which they will match a donation given by an employee, retired employee or even volunteers. Check with your company’s human resource department and ask your parents/friends/relatives if their employer has a matching gift program as well. Then, work with employers to check the eligibility and application requirements. It’s an easy way to double your impact.
Or, use our matching gift search (at the bottom of this page) to see if your company is listed, and get details on the procedure to apply for a match:
- Ask a local center (senior center, community center, YMCA, etc.) if you can post flyers, include information in their newsletters, and/or make a presentation about SuperWalk and the importance of fundraising for Parkinson’s disease.
- Make a list of all the people who provide you services throughout the year such as your dentist, doctor, dog walker, insurance broker or hair stylist. Invite each of them to sponsor you or ask if they will put a Parkinson SuperWalk pledge form or poster in their reception or waiting room.
- Use upcoming parties or family reunions as venues for discussing your fundraising activities face-to-face. Bring informational materials and donation forms to the party/reunion to begin collecting donations during the party or to share so that fellow party-goers can make donations from home. Of course, don’t forget to ask the party host/hostess for permission before asking guests for donations.
- Visit, call, send a letter to or e-mail the local Chamber of Commerce to request contacts for local civic groups (such as Rotary Clubs, Lion’s Clubs, Kiwanis Clubs, cultural affairs groups, etc.). When contacting them, be sure to describe SuperWalk and your fundraising goals. Once you’ve obtained the information, contact the club president (or, better yet, a friend who is a member) to request an opportunity to make a presentation before the group about the SuperWalk, Parkinson’s, and/or to distribute a mailing/e-mail to members.
- You probably know people who sell things on eBay®. Or you may want to do some of your own spring cleaning by trying it yourself. Find 5 to 7 items people my need and send an email taking bids for 48 hours the highest bid wins your treasure!
- Everyone loves casual Fridays. Why not turn other days into dress down days for a price a donation to SuperWalk!
- Inviting your pals over for a get-together can be a fun-filled way to raise funds. Get creative and host a low-cost, fun and participatory event. Ideas include game nights, costume or theme parties, pot luck dinners, knitting parties, tea parties, etc.
- Local events can be a great way to engage the entire community in raising money for your cause. Choosing the right event depends on your community, but you can include a bake sale, car wash, wine tasting, spaghetti dinner, pancake breakfast, rummage sale, sports tournament, block party, etc. And of course, proceeds from the event can go directly to SuperWalk!
- COOK OFF - Works great in an office setting! Ask several proud 'chefs' to prepare their famous chili, beef stew, apple crumble, or even chocolate chip cookies. Then have others pay $1, $2, or a donation for the opportunity to taste each recipe and select a winner! Be sure to have a small trophy or award prepared for the winner...then new chefs will know who to challenge the following year!
- MOVIE NIGHT - tired of paying over the top prices at theatres? Then host your own movie night with proceeds going to PSC. Invite a group of friends/family over to enjoy a new release you've rented or a classic favourite. Pop some popcorn, buy some bulk candy and provide several choices of beverages. Charge people $5 (far less than half the price of theatre viewing). Sit back, relax, and press play!
- PET SITTING - A great idea for little SuperWalkers. Pet sit your friends', family members' and neighbours' dogs, cats, hamster, goldfish, etc. while they are out for the day or away for the weekend.
- CASINO NIGHT - Invite your friends and family over to play some of your favourite casino games, with all proceeds going to SuperWalk. Playing Poker, blackjack, craps or roulette guarantees fun filled night.
- USED BOOK/CD/MOVIE SALE: gather up and sell all those old books, cds and movies that clutter up your home and collect dust.