In 2011, my brother Peter and his longtime friend (David) co-founded, “Pedaling for Parkinson’s”. Over three days, they cycled more than 100,000 pedal strokes – 1 pedal stroke for each Canadian diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Their inspiration came from David’s father and a very close and dear friend of my brother’s, both diagnosed with Parkinson’s. The event was a great success, raising almost $18,000 in its first year. In 7 years, the ride has raised in excess of $1,00,000.00. It has become the largest, thirs party fund raising event for Parkinsons Society Canada!!!! Truly remarkable!!
This year’s ride is July 13th-15th in beautiful Parry Sound!!
How you can participate:
Option 1 - Make a donation, thank you!
* To make a donation to my personal profile, click -> DONATE NOW (right side of page)
Option 2 - Register as a Rider
* Register by clicking REGISTER
* Collect donations, ride along! Options are listed at ROUTE OPTIONS
Note, this is not a race event, cyclists of all levels are welcome.
Option 3 – Be a volunteer! Bake cookies!!
* We are going to need help, please email Jon at email@example.com
* Pam Newall and Christa Istvan lovingly bake hundreds of chocolate chip cookies for the event in July. Be sure to say hi to these lovely ladies and knowing them, you'll likely get a hug while enjoying a cookie or two. How great is that?!
The purpose of the event is to raise awareness about Parkinson’s disease and raise funds for research. They have been working closely with the Parkinson’s Society of Canada to help ensure a successful event. Parkinson’s Society Canada’s National Research Program funds research for the prevention, cause, treatment, and cure of Parkinson’s disease and related disorders.
If you can AND the budget is available, I hope you will consider participating in Pedaling for Parkinson’s and help make a difference in the lives of people and families affected by Parkinson’s.